Sunday 26 February 2012

DIY gold patterned beasts



When I came across cheap (and slightly ugly) plastic animals in the toy section of one of our local stores I remembered these golden beauties and decided to make some of my own.

Here is a quick tutorial for those of you who would like to make some too.
You will need:


Step 1: Start by spraying your plastic animal(s) with an even layer of spray paint (I used black, gold or white depending on the animal). Make sure you do this in a well ventilated area, and that you use something (cardboard in my case) to protect the area you're spraying on.

Step 2: Once the paint has fully dried, you can start decorating the animals. I used a gold metallic pen to draw spots or lines, or to cover parts of the bodies (such as paws, tail or head).


Step 3: Once you are done, make sure you let the animal(s) dry some more before handling them too much. I've noticed that the golden paint stays sticky for a while and will get onto your fingers.

Step 4: Put them somethere pretty and admire!

22 comments:

  1. So cute! I'll definitely be giving this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE it! The gold, black, and white are so striking! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are increible! your photos are excellent and I am going to the store to find some little critters tomorrow!!! :D Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies! Glad you like them. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also been planning on doing sg like this...now I simply have to. Those are truly ugly animals :D:D Once I saw a giant plastic lobster...and I regret leaving it at the store :(

    Awesome project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow, MrsF: a painted lobster would be A-MA-ZING! What a shame indeed!
    I'm going to have to keep an eye out for one of them.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are no lobster, but check out my dinos :)

      Delete
    2. Wow - your dinos are super cool!! Love the colours you chose.

      Delete
  7. Love this! Where did you buy your plastic animals? X. Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi maria!
    i bought them at hema, in the toy section - they are super cheap (€1 each) and they also have lots of farm animals (pig, horse, goat, sheep, etc.) and dinosaurs - they are pretty ugly to start with, but have a great deal of potential once sprayed!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hema, of all places! :-D Too bad it's a Sunday today... Tomorrow I will have my spray painted animals!

      Delete
    2. :-)

      Looking forward to seeing your creations!

      Delete
  9. I blogged these chic animal "statues" here: http://www.lauracgeorge.com/pinterest-roundup-black-and-gold-chic/

    ReplyDelete
  10. perfect idea, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have a plastic hippo I think I will paint. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A hippo! Yey; that sounds great! :-)
      I would love to see it when it's ready.

      Delete
  12. Oh your beasts look beautiful! What an interesting trend - love it!! I've got this linked to my painted animals DIY post as well today, for different ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. did you use tape or something to make the chevron pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy!
      Yes, I used tape. I have to say though, when I sprayed the taped tiger in gold some of the paint went under the tape and so once it was dry I took a black pen and fixed the golden little smudges.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...